Author Topic: buying computer help  (Read 6054 times)

Offline jamortTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
buying computer help
« on: December 15, 2008, 09:38:32 PM »
hi the computert i have now is slow has poor graphics etc.
im looking to buy a new one and im in to a lot of 3d animationa nd any program i run on my current one shuts down... i was wondering wat i can get for $500
i kno its not much but its all i got
my english teacher once said, "dont talk about what you dont know in public...."

so I replied the truth, " Exactly why I dont ever talk about English."

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
Re: buying computer help
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 09:41:39 PM »
Windows?

If you want a good computer you are better off building one yourself - meaning custom ordering the parts?
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

Offline silo_xtreme

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • I really love robots, they keep me awake at night.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
I don't know about that, he wants a lower cost computer.  I'd get a Dell , or a refurbished Dell.

Offline RoBoTicS

• Helpful? 0
  • Man is a robot with defects
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 06:37:39 AM »
@jamort:
If you get a cheep Dell, It might not have the right graphics and ram you want to run your program. Like airman00 said it would be better building one of your own.  You don't have to get the most expensive part just the stuff you need to help you.  Plus it saves you tons, thats what my brother did him and I built his.

Offline cosminprund

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 8
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 08:13:47 AM »
In Romania you can go to a shop and ask them to build a computer to your specifications. Your specs may include a detailed breakdown of all the components (ie: Give me a computer with this MB, this CPU, this RAM, this HDD's, this VIDEO card). The extra fee for this service ranges from nothing to very little and you don't need to risk building your own. Isn't this service available wherever you're from?

When you build your own PC you'll run into some of those risks:

(a) Component incompatibility! For a while this problem disappeared, but it's now back. Some video cards don't work on some MB's. Some of the high-spec RAM doesn't work in all of the MB's. I don't suppose you're aiming for high-end I/O cards but some PCIe RAID cards don't work in all of the PCIe slots. Major producers publish data-sheets with compatibility tests but those are useless if you want "cheap" because major produces (ex: Intel, HP) are expensive and they usually only test against expensive stuff!

An other trend is the requirement to update MB BIOS before you install the CPU. Maybe it's me getting cutting edge but I've had to do this on two PC's. You need an secondary CPU supported by the MB out-of-the-box so you can update the MB BIOS so you can subsequently install your desired CPU!

(b) There's the risk of damaging components while installing. CPU's and RAM can be damaged by electrostatic discharges. An CPU cooler may slip and damage the MB if you're not experienced.

If the installation is made by an shop they're taking most of the responsability for the build (making sure components are compatible and making sure they don't brake anything). On the other hand you're posting on a robotics forum so I'd expect you to know safe component handling techniques (so you don't damage them by electrostatic discharge). Making sure the components are compatible would require you to buy stuff from the same brand OR google and see if others have used your combination before.

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 09:23:24 AM »
I say build your own, I built mine and it was fairly easy. The hardest part is picking out the components. Plus my computer is worth about twice what I paid for it.  ;D
Just wear one of those anti static wristbands and you'll be fine.
Robots are awesome!

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 02:56:05 PM »
the reason i need  a new one is because ive got a competition designing with alice which is a pretty lame pretty much pseudo programing from cmu.... but the reason im doing it because the program im in is letting the best projects go to the international technology convention in dc.... which is a good place to get connections am i right?

but i could build one but my parents are buying it for me and theyd "rather get something they know will work"
my english teacher once said, "dont talk about what you dont know in public...."

Offline silo_xtreme

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • I really love robots, they keep me awake at night.
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 06:33:01 PM »
Although I agree that building your own computer guarantees you get all of the parts you want, at times, it just might be faster, and less expensive to buy a computer.

I like Dell.  :)

Offline TrickyNekro

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 07:14:22 PM »
I build and overcloack my own machines...
Assembly isn't hard... It's easy, but you gotta be handy...
But assembly is not an issue here....
You can build a nice PC with a 300$ budget.... On board graphics, nothing hardcore... dual core.... etc etc etc....
I prefer AMD to Intel.... Why? Because Intel are very quick in opening applications and running them fast...
But I usually have 4 to 5 application up every time... and open up time is not an issue... so I prefer AMD....

Also... If you want a graphics card... get a Radeon one.... They are more cheap, have quicker cores and compatibility is NOT a issue...
You can even Make your own case to loose on spending... It's all about how far you want to go....

Best Regards, Lefteris
Greece
For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline HDL_CinC_Dragon

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 07:25:20 PM »
Funny im an Intel and nVidia guy myself lol

I built my computer also for half of what it was really worth. At the time I built it, the only computer manufacturer that could have matched or beat it was Alienware. But based on their pricing I built mine for like a third or fourth of the price lol

The only thing that would cause compatibility issues is not looking at the specs and knowing what to look for and also knowing what manufacturers and OEMs to go for and stay away from.

For me, building my own computer is the ONLY way to go. I dont think ill ever be able to buy an already built computer ever again after having built this one. Plus I left some room for upgrading. Im due for a rebuild soon though which means another shipment from newegg :)

For $500 you can get WAY more bang for you buck if you build it yourself. A $500 Dell is not going to have what you are apparently looking for.
United States Marine Corps
Infantry
Returns to society: 2014JAN11

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 09:29:27 PM »
yep but i got good news just got off the phone with my aunt and were ging to go and buy a $900 Toshiba so that will work but thanks for your replies

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 09:31:50 PM »
wow me 3. intel nvidia FTW

listen to these guys. the hardest part is making sure everything is compatible. everything just snaps or screws together.

btw ESD is almost a joke. ive never shocked anything or have heard of anyone frying their stuff.

PS. toshiba sucks

ask her to get this. i just got one and its freakin awesome. a real powershouse. lucky me got them when they were $500
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0295988
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline cosminprund

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 8
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 05:35:42 AM »
listen to these guys. the hardest part is making sure everything is compatible. everything just snaps or screws together.

You now the saying: It all works out unless it doesn't  :) Just google "video card compatibility" and "video card" and look at the number of hits: The proportion is one "video card compatibility" hit for every 21 "video card" hits!

BTW ESD is almost a joke. I've never shocked anything or have heard of anyone frying their stuff.

ESD is not joke they're not putting stuff in protective bags for nothing. I haven't fried anything myself but my brother fried a few SDRAM modules a few years back. It might also be something that varies from one person to the next. I rarely get ESD shocks (you know - when you touch the door handle at your car and it shocks you) but my wife gets those shocks all the time!

I'm trying to be carefull about giving advice to beginners. Maybe you and me can afford a bad component once in a while but not everyone does. When you're spending someone else's money you should be twice as carefull. The OP is getting money from his aunt for a computer: what would she think if he bought the wrong video card? What would she think if he killed his RAM because of that very unlikely ESD?

Offline ed1380

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 3
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 09:02:53 AM »
i understand what you're saying. and trust me i DONT have money for spare components. i
Problems making the $50 robot circuit board?
click here. http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=3292.msg25198#msg25198

Offline negroslim

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 08:26:43 PM »
build your own with parts from newegg.com

and go for the newest sockets, buses and memory you can afford (not neceassarily the fastest components) for low initial cost but room to upgrade to get something vastly more powerful down the road then you would get than just dropping 500 bucks now on the vastest CPU speed, memory size, video card or whatever

Offline Hertz32

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 03:29:23 PM »
go to palicomp they custom build and sell them dirt cheap

Offline z.s.tar.gz

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Linux Guru
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 05:18:52 PM »
I built my computer from newegg parts a few years ago, and I can honestly it was one of the better decisions I've ever made.
I bought just the essentials first, and as I got more money I've added on to it.
Save yourself the typing. Just call me Zach.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 05:24:19 PM »
Nice! That's what im planning to do.
The pc that im building costs upwards of $1500 in stores and im building it for about $800, im in love!
Howdy

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 09:47:38 PM »
A couple of years ago I built a computer worth ~$1000 for around $600.
Robots are awesome!

Offline z.s.tar.gz

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Linux Guru
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 04:32:58 PM »
Yeah you can usually cut the price in half (approx) if you make it yourself.
Cut out the labor, the marketing, and the profit margin and you can save yourself quite a pretty penny.
Save yourself the typing. Just call me Zach.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list