go away spammer

Author Topic: Robots vs. Humanity  (Read 3395 times)

Offline musaaaaaaaTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Robots vs. Humanity
« on: November 16, 2009, 10:11:32 AM »
So I wanted to get some of your opinions regarding humanity's future with robots and A.I. We've seen the movies and we know how they all end. Science and technology has allowed humans to create some pretty awesome stuff which are incredibly beneficial to mankind. But where does it end? We seem to want our robots to be as "human" as possible, teaching them to learn for themselves, as well as perform humanly tasks. But is being as human as possible really a good thing? Especially since these machines do not know compassion or remorse. At the same time, we want to be very much like them(e.g HAL suits), making us stronger or faster or even smarter. I'm afraid that in the future, the line between humans and robots will be blurred to the point that we may even lose what it means to be human. I personally find it disturbing when ethics come into play, especially when we are discussing machines which do not feel pain, or do not have a soul.

"In general, I like Hans Moravec’s formulation that these are our children. How does one raise children? You train them for the inevitable letting go. If our children never left our control, we’d not only be disappointed, but we’d be cruel. To be innovative, imaginative, creative, and free, the child needs to be out of control of its maker. So it will be with our mind’s children, the robots. Is there a parent with a teenager who is not concerned, who does not have a bit of worry? It took us a long time to realize that the power of a technology is proportional to its inherent out-of-controlness, its inherent ability to surprise and be generative. In fact, unless we can worry about a technology, it is not revolutionary enough. Powerful technology demands responsibility. With the generative power of robots, we need heavy duty responsibility. We should be aiming to train our robotic children to be good citizens. That means instilling in them values so they can make responsible decisions when we let them go." - http://www.kk.org/thetechnium/archives/2006/03/will_spiritual.php

I guess the question is, are we ready to let them go?

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Re: Robots vs. Humanity
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 06:21:08 AM »
either no one else has an opinion...or this isn't the first time this topic has come up?

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 06:22:02 AM »
or maybe im in the wrong forum.lol

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 11:08:16 PM »
"In general, I like Hans Moravec’s formulation that these are our children. How does one raise children? You train them for the inevitable letting go. If our children never left our control, we’d not only be disappointed, but we’d be cruel. To be innovative, imaginative, creative, and free, the child needs to be out of control of its maker.
Thats just western culture.

In Asia, parents raise their children to serve them for life. You are looked down upon if you move out of your family's home, and considered a bad child if you don't send money home every month.

Hans is wrong, there is another functional system thats perfect for robots. :P

No one is going to spend $50k for a slave robot just to let it go. Thats just silly!

Offline z.s.tar.gz

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Linux Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 05:48:36 PM »
I think that people will begin relying on robots too much. Think how much we rely on computers, and they don't even move!
Imagine how little people will do when they have a machine that can get groceries, mow the lawn, wash the car, etc.
Save yourself the typing. Just call me Zach.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 07:34:45 PM »
Fatten 'em up just before the uprising, I say!

Offline z.s.tar.gz

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Linux Guru
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 07:36:01 PM »
Don't worry. Wall-E will make us into regular people again, hopefully before skynet takes hold.
Save yourself the typing. Just call me Zach.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 01:43:04 AM »
Don't worry. Wall-E will make us into regular people again, hopefully before skynet takes hold.
Says you! You'll see...
Howdy

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 11:16:13 AM »
lol..so am i being over paranoid for thinking that in the not so distant future, mankind will be enslaved by robots? i mean...someone's probably already in our timeline looking for john connor...right? RIGHT?

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 11:22:14 AM »
Haha. Actually I think the bigger problem is a computer uprising, it is so much easier to infect the worldwide computer systems. Then once all computers are down, robots will do the physical labor  ;D

Offline squirtking

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
  • FEELING GYMPISH
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 01:26:47 PM »
Haha. Actually I think the bigger problem is a computer uprising, it is so much easier to infect the worldwide computer systems. Then once all computers are down, robots will do the physical labor  ;D

robots cud never take over the world humans wud be too strong but i still like the idea of a super suit

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 02:49:03 PM »
So true, i remember a few years ago there was a massive pc virus going around that got a sh*tload of pc's!
Howdy

Offline dellagd

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Come to the dark side... We have cookies!
    • Exodus Rocketry
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 03:29:01 PM »
ok, lets say humans do invent a Artificially intelligent robot. they will always have a weakness... EMP!! fire up that puppy and ca-blamo! every thing with anykind of micro-proccesser, micro-controller, micro- anything electronic is totally fried leaving humans relatively unharmed
Innovation is a product of Failure, which leads to Success.

If I helped, +1 helpful pls

I Won!
3rd place! I'm taking $100

Offline Ryltar

• Helpful? 1
    • GlitchTech Science
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 06:28:10 PM »
ok, lets say humans do invent a Artificially intelligent robot. they will always have a weakness... EMP!! fire up that puppy and ca-blamo! every thing with anykind of micro-proccesser, micro-controller, micro- anything electronic is totally fried leaving humans relatively unharmed

But can't electronics be hardened against EMP? Sure it may slow them down for a while, but they come back and be even more p.o.ed than before.

Offline dellagd

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
    • Exodus Rocketry
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 06:16:19 AM »
lol once robots get that advanced then might not even de using micro electronics anyway...

I Won!

Offline madchimp

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 06:49:04 AM »
All of this neglects the fact that even with advanced AI robots don't have the flaws that make people want to take over the world. Even artificially intelligent robots don't have emotions no greed no anger so they would be happy just doing as they are told as robots today do. Now if they did have emotions that would be a different story. I think if robots with advance AI that had the ability to reproduce more robots decided we were a problem we would be exterminated in short order. Think of how important team work is in war and how easily and quickly robots could communicate and how fragile we really are.

Offline Spoil9

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 05:42:31 PM »
^^^ I love the Terminator series, but that is one of the many problems that always bothered me. Why would skynet move to these advanced Terminators that communicate so slowly, if even at all with each other. I would assume that skynet would have a pretty advanced comms network.
And also, why would they only send these things out in single units? A basic battle buddy team would drasictly increase their effectiveness.
But either way, I'm ready for them when they come... http://www.tactilite.com/
Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil.

Offline dellagd

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
    • Exodus Rocketry
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 06:17:36 PM »
lol. That would do the trick,

I Won!

Offline ekanshmishra1210

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 11:25:22 AM »
Robots are made by human for human...........

Ekansh Mishra
MIT

Offline Spoil9

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
^^^ very insightful there.
Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil.

Get Your Ad Here