Author Topic: $50 Robot; flash reads FAIL  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Mike11Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
$50 Robot; flash reads FAIL
« on: June 17, 2011, 02:35:47 PM »
HI, I thought my question could be related so I am asking here. I downloaded the .hex file and want to upload it, get all the OKs in the programming part except for Flash which reads: fail. What shall I use as a header file? Source file is attached automatically when I set up a new project. Do I need it? Obviously sth is wrong.

Thank you, Mike

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
Re: $50 Robot; flash reads FAIL
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 03:51:06 PM »
I'm confused with your question. Are you trying to compile the software, or upload it to your robot?

ps - I moved this to be a new thread.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
I am trying to upload the .hex file. I thougt it needs no compiling as it is already .hex

Mike

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 04:26:59 PM »
I mean, I copied the .hex file which opens as a new window in Mozilla and pasted it into notespad, then saved as .hex.
After that, I opened AVR and started a new project that I called servos, chose Atmega8 (similarly to the photovore's microcontroller programming). But when all the windows pop up, I dont know how to proceed. In the tutorial's programming part, you choose the source and header file, attach makefile, compile it, press rebuil all and then program it to the microcontroller but in case of the servos, I just dont know. Source file is attached automatically, as it seems but there is no header file which I thought was because I dont need to compile and rebuild anything as I have the .hex file already. So I just connected to the microcontroller and pressed program button (didnt know whether to check "erase" or not). But the servos do nothing...

MIke

Offline adanvasco

• Helpful? 6
  • Necessity is the mother of invention.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 09:03:07 PM »
Right click on the actual link to the file and select "Save Link As". A .hex file is not a text file with a .hex extension which is basically what you're doing that way. You have to download the file as it is.

What hardware programmer are you using (if any)? If using the STK Serial Port Dongle, you need to load the .hex file on PonyProg and upload it from there.
Knowledge does not weigh.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 02:53:14 AM »
OK, I'll do it that way. Thank you! I am using AVR mkII ISP so I have no ponyprog.

Mike

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 07:15:39 AM »
When you do it, copy the exact error and paste it here.

Also, make sure you have AVR Studio set to program the correct ATmega (it's in the drop down menu on the first tab of the programming window)

Get Your Ad Here