go away spammer

Author Topic: Using the iMAX B6 Digital RC charger to charge NiMh batteries  (Read 11181 times)

Offline omkarTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
Hi, I purchased a battery charger as shown in the link below:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/320559277083?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I have 12 Nimh 1.2 V 10mAh D-cells:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/D-Type-10000mAH-1-2V-Ni-MH-Rechargeable-Battery-Toy-Car-/180559570955?pt=AU_Electronics_Batteries_Chargers&hash=item2a0a30680b

and D-cell holders: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-x-4-D-Cells-Battery-6V-Clip-Holder-Box-Case-w-Lead-1-/200597169212?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2eb485e43c

I want to know how to use this charger to charge a battery that will be made up of 10 of these cells clustered using the D-cell holders. Do I just connect the positive and negative of the charger to the positive/negative poles of the battery or do i have to charge each cell individually?

Cheers
Omkar

Offline Wesley888

• Helpful? 0
Re: Using the iMAX B6 Digital RC charger to charge NiMh batteries
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 01:15:25 AM »
Charging them all separately would be the best.  That would be similar to the balance charging to the LiPo battery.  On the other hand, if I were you, I would just charge them all in series like what you are thinking to make things easier.
ArduPilot Mega 2 on Helicopter

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 01:39:13 AM »

Offline ncostes

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 10:15:36 AM »
You can charge them in series no problem. Individual is more accurate but takes forever. Just use a 1/10 C charge rate and you will be fine. That charger has no thermal sensor so do check on them once in a while to see if they are getting hot. I have a clone of that charger and charge 8644 batteries in series all the time with it along with Lipos.

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 07:18:30 PM »
To anyone reading this post and those who have replied to my original question (thanks by the way :)). This setup worked:

iMax B6 charger set to charge NiMh batteries at 1Amp setting charging 8  1.2V/11000mAh Nimh batteries in series held together in D Cell holders.

I used D Cell holders to hold the cells. As there is no temperature sensor, i kept the whole setup in the middle of my garage away from everything else. But the batteries did not break a sweat. They got slightly luke warm. But when i did this its winter time and my garage is not heated.

Previouslly I tried with 0.3Amp setting and after 14 hrs the batteries were not charged at all. Same with 0.5Amp setting. I think 1/10C (which is 1Amp for a 11000mAh battery) is the minimum setting you need.

Hope this helps whoever tries this.

Cheers

PS: Before putting all 8 cells in series, I checked each one to see if its within +/-10% of each other for voltage output. There were a few which were reading 0.8V, I charged these seperately to bring them up to scratch with the rest of them.

Get Your Ad Here