go away spammer

Author Topic: Wiring (and what is) a spot sensor  (Read 2211 times)

Offline GertlexTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
Wiring (and what is) a spot sensor
« on: May 20, 2011, 07:11:47 PM »
So I have this exact "spot sensor", which I pulled out of a printer last summer:
http://www.partshere.com/online/detailadv.asp?partno=C6426-60013

It has a 4 pin connector, which isn't labeled, and I'm wondering:
1) What *is* a spot sensor, and how might it be useful to me
2) How does one wire a spot sensor

Google wasn't a help... Seems that spot sensor is a printer-industry term.  My guess is it's used to detect whether paper is present in the printer.

I will note that the connector is a 4pin version of the 3pin connectors used on SHARP IR rangefinders, such as this one.
I

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Wiring (and what is) a spot sensor
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 07:28:41 PM »
Hi,

It has a 4 pin connector, which isn't labeled, and I'm wondering:
1) What *is* a spot sensor, and how might it be useful to me
2) How does one wire a spot sensor
It's an IR sensor that is screened (the long round tube) to measure only in a small spot. It has got an emitter (LED) and a detector (phototransistor) - just like any other reflex opto coupler.

You should be able to trace out the small PCB and you wire it with a resistor in each (if they're not already on the board in the shape of SMD resistors.

I will note that the connector is a 4pin version of the 3pin connectors used on SHARP IR rangefinders, such as this one.
That's just because it's a Japanese product that they used a JST connector. You could cut the wires and use standard 1/10" connectors if you haven't got a male JST.

2 wires for the LED, 2 wires for the photo transistor (could be reduced to 3).
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline GertlexTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Nuclear Engineer · Roboticist
    • Index of Oddities
Re: Wiring (and what is) a spot sensor
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 08:29:30 PM »
Thanks, Soeren.  I'll start from there, but I'm no EE, so I might well ask a more detailed q when I get stuck.

Fortunately, I kept the wires from the printer (nice wires, really), so I was able to use one end of the JST connector for the sharp IR sensor I bought (with dremel modification, hehe) and the other will be useful for the spot sensor.
I

Get Your Ad Here