go away spammer

Author Topic: Servo's For the rest of my life !?!  (Read 9182 times)

Offline Private ReidTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • I love apples ... Yum !!!
Servo's For the rest of my life !?!
« on: April 07, 2008, 05:53:51 AM »
I'm a little confused see.

Is it only Atmel microcontroller product that you have to use servos to dive your wheels (without using a H bridge)

Because I have seen other robots that don't use servos...infact almost all of them do.

Offline AndrewM

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
    • I Am.  When?
Re: Servo's For the rest of my life !?!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 06:44:21 AM »
You do not have to use servos with the Atmel chips.  And you do not have to use motors with most of the other microcontrollers.  If you see a robot that is using motors instead of servos it means they have either an H-bridge or an Electronic Speed Controller someplace in the circuitry driving the motor.  I don't know of any hobby level (or otherwise) microcontroller that can directly handle the amperage required to drive a motor directly.

Servos are just easier because you do not need an H-bridge or ESC and they come with built in gearing.
blog: www.iamwhen.com
Saving the world from humanity one robot at a time.

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 11:10:30 AM »
Servos are good for small size robots (under 1 foot cubed) because of internal gearing and internal motor controll circuitry. Servos use regular DC motors. The advantage is simplicity in connecting it to the microcontroller (only one pin) and logic controll (simple PWM signal).

DC motors will come in handy for a bigger robot. But you need to build (or buy) a motor controller and a gear box. Most of the DC motors used in robotics are allready geared. Even so, may robot builders add an extra gear reduction stage mostly because it is better to mount the wheels on a separate axle (because of weight being better supported by ballbearings instead of just the gearbox bushings). But there are also advantages when using DC motors. Higher speed, higher torque, regenerative system, better speed range, even the use of a single pin from the microcontroller is possible. Also they use PWM controll signal. For small and medium size motors there are simple to use integrated circuits (H-bridges).

All in all, the choice of using servos or geared DC motors for your robot is yours. It all depends on what you want the robot to do. If you want a simple to use solution, use servos. There are faster servos or bigger wheels if you need just a little more speed. If you want higher torque or speed with smaller wheels, use DC motors. If you want a legged robot, use servos. If you want a ballancing robot, use DC geared motors (they have a greater speed range, verry usefull for a ballancing robot).
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Offline superchiku

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • cooll
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 11:47:31 AM »
well you can use anything you want as long as you know that you can control it , but for you i would reccomend go for a servo as they easier to control and light weight but learn up the servo modification for full 360 degree first  ;)
JAYDEEP ...

IT AND ROBOTICS ENGINEER

"IN THE END IT DOESNT EVEN MATTER"

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 01:22:55 AM »
Thanks.

well you can use anything you want as long as you know that you can control it , but for you i would reccomend go for a servo as they easier to control and light weight but learn up the servo modification for full 360 degree first  ;)

exept servos are $$$

Offline superchiku

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • cooll
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 07:45:31 AM »
yup both dont think motors will be cheap, a normal 200 rpm geared motor will be 6$ each and also u need the h -bridge chip like l293d or l298

cost of l293d will be $3 and l298 will be around $6
JAYDEEP ...

IT AND ROBOTICS ENGINEER

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 08:09:32 AM »
exept servos are $$$
Servos are not expensive!!! Get the hs-311 for 9 bucks! Much easier then motors.
Robots are awesome!

Offline ScorpIon

• Helpful? 0
  • Nobody said it was gonna be easy.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 08:31:13 AM »
exept servos are $$$
Servos are not expensive!!! Get the hs-311 for 9 bucks! Much easier then motors.

Before I found out about SOR I thought that robot parts would go at like 90$ at its cheapest and that it could cost you somewhere around 600$ to make a basic robot. I think that many parts are extremely cheap, those servos included.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 08:13:55 PM »
exept servos are $$$

What the hell !!!!!
$9 !!!   :o
In Australia there like frigin $60 for 4  !!!!

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 08:15:45 PM »
If anyone is willing to post me 2, hs-311...

;D :D ;D

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 11:58:44 PM »
What the hell !!!!!
$9 !!!   :o
In Australia there like frigin $60 for 4  !!!!

In Romania they are about $19 a piece...

Offline superchiku

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • cooll
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 12:18:52 AM »
i guess we cant do anything abt it , we just have to adjust accordingly
JAYDEEP ...

IT AND ROBOTICS ENGINEER

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 02:41:04 AM »
i guess we cant do anything abt it , we just have to adjust accordingly

Hmmm

Like my $50 robot is now ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS !!!  :(

Offline goatfish

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 03:56:33 AM »
yea admin should of said what it was going to cost on average for different countries,cos mine has cost a fair bit too,its $45 just for the cable to program my robot(but i have to make it as a kit :().so in aus the $50 robot is more like the $500 robot,lol maybe i exagerate a little ;D hey u americans how much does it cost for 1 hitec hs-322 servo,cos it cost me $18,god damn price difference lol  ;D

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 04:06:33 AM »
yea admin should of said what it was going to cost on average for different countries,cos mine has cost a fair bit too,its $45 just for the cable to program my robot(but i have to make it as a kit :().so in aus the $50 robot is more like the $500 robot,lol maybe i exagerate a little ;D hey u americans how much does it cost for 1 hitec hs-322 servo,cos it cost me $18,god damn price difference lol  ;D

soooooooooooo true

so in aus the $50 robot is more like the $500 robot

NOT AN EXADURATION

hey u americans how much does it cost for 1 hitec hs-322 servo,cos it cost me $18,god damn price difference lol 

im intrested
but i need to know how much for a hs 311 servo

Offline Trumpkin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 08:21:31 AM »
I feel sorry for you people in australlia. Here are the hs-311 servos http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-311_standard.html. Servo City ships anywhere.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 08:23:54 AM by Trumpkin »
Robots are awesome!

Offline Webbot

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 111
    • Webbot stuff
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 09:01:58 AM »
Shame its out of stock  ;D
Webbot Home: http://webbot.org.uk/
WebbotLib online docs: http://webbot.org.uk/WebbotLibDocs
If your in the neighbourhood: http://www.hovinghamspa.co.uk

Offline superchiku

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • cooll
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 09:07:12 AM »
well the cost is that much coz its a local company for america and its an international company for the rest of us , i cant imagine what a microcontroller will cost or worse a development board
JAYDEEP ...

IT AND ROBOTICS ENGINEER

Offline goatfish

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2008, 12:46:49 AM »
yea but that $18 dollars was from a local company or is it cos the company imported it from america

paulstreats

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2008, 06:11:21 AM »
yea but that $18 dollars was from a local company or is it cos the company imported it from america

Its probably because they dont have any competeition price wise and so they can dictate what price you pay.
It sounds like a business opportunity for some australians on the site to set up a competetive priced robot parts store, but check first about import taxation because this might be part of the reason for the expense.

In england, theres only 1 importer of hitec servos(hs-311) and they are £4.11 ($8.08) to buy from at trade price and they must be bought in quantities exceeding $500 ($493), so businesses that sell them for like $9 arent making very much profit on them at all.

Here is the link for the hitec distributor in australia http://oos.modelengines.com.au/command/servlet/Command?command=display_item_pub&pkey=meng&f_id=1&itemid=HTHS-311BULK
the hs3-11 servos are (AUS$8.10 US$7.51) each, but you might have to make a minimum order to buy from them. (the distributor is where shops buy from. The shops then add a bit onto the price for their own profit so shops marking them up to $18 are just being greedy)

Offline superchiku

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • cooll
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 10:30:14 AM »
thats a big problem , why dont countries except america have good supplies of servos and microcontrollers?? and cheap too??
JAYDEEP ...

IT AND ROBOTICS ENGINEER

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 11:06:23 AM »
Volume sales. Or the volume of sales... something like that.

Offline superchiku

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • cooll
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 11:08:55 AM »
well if u ask for volume , then ill say all countries have a fair share of robotists , so why so much problem in getting all the materials in countries apart from USA
JAYDEEP ...

IT AND ROBOTICS ENGINEER

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 11:20:08 AM »
Shipping, customs, handling... it all adds to the price. If there is a small quantity, the price will be high. Also the profit of the seller is large at first, then it goes down after a few times, because of discounts from supplyer, shipping company, (probably not from customs...) and the quicker money return from selling the merchandise. Large quantities will get lower price per piece, but a higher price per lot. A big lot will probably sell over a long time, so there is money that is blocked in the stocked merchandise. All this counts. I have looked in making a store in Romania, but the slow return for the invested money made me change my mind.

Offline superchiku

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • cooll
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 11:30:01 AM »
this isnt fair u know, i mean sometimes what u need is things that are readily available and not ordering in the internet coz they take many days to ship and reach here , so i hope that shopkeepers soon start importing these servos and other robotics materials so that ppl can buy them easily and dont have to follow useless rules and regulations and wait even more after ordering in the net
JAYDEEP ...

IT AND ROBOTICS ENGINEER

paulstreats

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 11:35:10 AM »
If you look at the link above, they are the australian importers/distributors. They always carry a stock for the retailers to buy from(so the price you see is what you pay, theyve already done the customs and import thing). Even you could buy from them if you were willing to buy enough to make it worth their while, if you ever get a few hundred dollars spare, buy some and sell the reserve stock yourself, ive started doing something similar but only electronic components for now(you can get most at over 50% discount when bulk buying!)

Offline newkidontheblock

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 12:09:49 PM »
well, im in singapore.
over here, hitec HS-311 servos are 24 bucks. the exchange rate between US and singapore is 1.4
the shops here do not have loads of the products too, i only had a choice of ONE AVR programmer and TWO controllers...
that alone burnt a hole in my pocket..

Offline superchiku

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • cooll
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2008, 12:22:33 PM »
even a country like singapore has such problems ... seeesh this is kinda global , something has to be done
JAYDEEP ...

IT AND ROBOTICS ENGINEER

Offline Webbot

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 111
    • Webbot stuff
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2008, 06:05:47 PM »
Most suppliers, like DigiKey say, will ship anyhwere but you need to spend $200 to get free shipping otherwise the shipping is more than the cost of the goods. Anyone want to create a buying portal that the Auzzie members, say, can all order via and have stuff shipped to a central place in Oz and then pay local postage to their own home!!!

Hhmmm - or could SoR get group discounts for all of its members

Could be a business opportunity?
Webbot Home: http://webbot.org.uk/
WebbotLib online docs: http://webbot.org.uk/WebbotLibDocs
If your in the neighbourhood: http://www.hovinghamspa.co.uk

Offline superchiku

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • cooll
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2008, 12:06:20 AM »
it not only abt aussies , its kinda global all of us need cheap and easily available equipments in our countries which we dont have now, i think ppl are not yet looking at the business side of the availibility, there are many robotists who want to buy such things cheap but end of ordering from the net where they have to pay double the amnt of the equipment just for shipping which is quite adhoc .so if local vendors get these products, they will earn a good profit and robotisits will get their equipments very cheap..
JAYDEEP ...

IT AND ROBOTICS ENGINEER

Get Your Ad Here