go away spammer

Author Topic: OMFG!!!!! Look at that range!!!!!!  (Read 6489 times)

Offline Asellith

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
  • "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar"
    • CorSec Engineering
Re: OMFG!!!!! Look at that range!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2009, 07:21:59 AM »
Well to tell you the truth it depends on the radio station. Commercial Band broadcasters would do more contour checking then I would working at a Non-Commercial station. It would depend on listenership as well. If one of my listeners calls me and says they get nothing but static or someone else is broadcasting on my frequency then I would get involved. I don't have the equipment to locate a rouge transmission but I could get it easily enough. Or use my spectrum analyzer I do have and play with it a bit to get a bearing on the transmission. And yes if I find the location of a pirate broadcast I will call the cops. A pirate station in Orlando just got busted a few weeks ago. These pirates last a few weeks maybe a month or so and run like a normal radio station except for the government regulations so their overhead is lower. That and they don't pay royalties. Some don't make money but others actually have advertisers and make some cash along the way.

The hardest part about finding the rouge transmission would be knowing it existed. I cover a large area in 4 different states. I can't drive that distances on any normal basis. The most I do is a yearly contour check and that just on the major highways in 3 directions. (ocean is to the south so no checking that direction)

Again if a listener complains I think even without the best equipment I could find you in less then a week. Maybe even one day. I one of the guys here is a ham and if he puts the word out I bet we could have some bored ham junkies tracking for us as well. In a rural area where your going to affect like 5 people you might never get caught. In downtown Pensacola or Mobile, I'd find out rather fast and cops would be involved.
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2009, 09:38:21 AM »
Asellith, whats the accuracy of this tracking, and how exactly does it work? Some form of triangulation?

Offline TrickyNekroTopic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
  • Hardware and Firmware Designer
    • The Hellinic Robots Portal
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2009, 10:34:31 AM »
Wouldn't UAV help this job....
It's quite difficult with all those reflections get the transmitter, thus you need a week....
I think UAV like these are being used by Israel to destroy mobile radar stations....
So technology exists!!!
For whom the interrupts toll...

Offline BANE

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2009, 02:23:51 PM »
"15 miles"

Do you have to get some special antenna to get that range?  I have a wireless PS2 controller; is it possible to up grade the RF module or can you do that with this?

Bane

Offline Asellith

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 9
  • "I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar"
    • CorSec Engineering
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2009, 03:06:22 PM »
I've never had to do it but as far as I understand it you take a special antenna that attached to a mobile spectrum analyzer. Then you can figure out peak power output from one point and get a bearing then triangulate from several points based on signal strength. The antenna is basically a directional antenna that when pointed that gives you the ability to get a bearing. More advanced guys use antenna arrays and triangulate on the fly. I have seen some crazy Ham setups mounted on cars to chase signals. Evidently its a sort of game they play sometimes. One guy will put a transmitter up and others try and find it. Or he will mount it to a vehicle and drive around till they trap him.

TrickyNekro is right about the reflections but most of the time they are such small wattage TPO (Total Power Output) to begin with the reflections are a lot lower in power. Tracking my 95kW transmitter might be rough if it was in the middle of a city (its in the middle of nowhere) You'd get reflections that where close to that wattage all over the place because of reflection. But a guy transmitting a pirate transmission will not have that kinda wattage.
Jonathan Bowen
CorSec Engineering
www.corseceng.com

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2009, 02:14:18 PM »
Hi,

[...] what would the response be and how fast would it be? I mean, would it be the police who get involved? Would they make an arrest? Immediately?
How fast can you pinpoint a location and what kind of evidence do you need before anything is done about it?
The speed of response will depend on a mixture of the owner of the radio station, how fast listeners report the interference etc.
Somebody will come knocking at your door pretty soon and they will bring the law, you'll be booked and your equipment will be confiscated down to the last power supply component.
It's very easy to use triangulation to pinpoint a jammer with a constant carrier.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Get Your Ad Here

data_list