go away spammer

Author Topic: wireless communication  (Read 2602 times)

Offline spectrem12Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
wireless communication
« on: February 18, 2011, 01:59:58 PM »
I just bought the Arduino Uno. What is the best method for wireless communication back to my computer. I read blue tooth everywhere. But blue tooth is meant for small range. And the larger the range, it gets pretty expensive.

I have used another microcontroller (do not have it anymore) which had a small CC2500 radio on it, but then I had to have 2 of them. One transmitting from a device to one on my computer to receive data.

I have also heard of people hacking the Wii remote to use blue tooth. Not sure of the distance of these, but I do have one and that will make it very cheap. But I still need an add on for my Uno right?

Can anyone give me some insight on this?

Offline garrettg84

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 8
  • Armchair Roboticist Extraordinaire
    • http://www.garrettgalloway.com/
Re: wireless communication
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 02:22:59 PM »
I am interested in this too. I have a few different wireless tranceivers on order and should be arriving shortly. I've never dealt with making up my own board for something like this before and it will be my first time.

There are quite a few shields pre-made for the arduino for this though. Nothing I'm aware of is 'long range' more than a few 10's of feet that I've seen. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I also have had the idea to canabalize one of the cheaper RC 2.4ghz radio tx and rx from hobbyking (at about $30). I haven't gotten around to it yet.
-garrett

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 03:11:21 PM »
What is the best method for wireless communication back to my computer.
What is the data rate you require?

Many use the 1mW Series 1 XBee modules for up to about 50 meters and the Pro version for much longer distances. There is also the 900MHz Pro modules that are good to several kilometers.

Offline Darth Maker

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 1
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 05:06:50 PM »
I second the XBees.  Almost everyone who uses them love them.

I mentioned the Bluetooth Mates from Sparkfun in your other thread.  XBees have much better range and reliability that bluetooth.

I also have had the idea to canabalize one of the cheaper RC 2.4ghz radio tx and rx from hobbyking (at about $30). I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I've been considering that exact same thing, especially since I have one.  The only problem is that it's one way communication.

Offline Cyntrox

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 01:26:38 PM »
I have seen people hacking cheap wireless routers to do this. It's ambitious and has high power requirements, but you probably won't find better wireless communication.

Offline ursine

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
I'm using an Arduino w/ an Ethernet shield and a Linksys router running DD-WRT in Client Bridge mode on my robot. I've got good communication throughout my 1.5 acre property. (this video shows an old Belkin router in the first prototype)
iPhone controlled Traxxas Stampede
Dave

Offline dorji

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 08:03:28 PM »
You might consider to use DORJI's wireless modules with ranges from 300 meters to 3000 meters. The price is reasonable and what's more important the modules are very easy to use.  ;D

Get Your Ad Here

data_list