Author Topic: Anyone know about 1/8th scale R/C truck wheels?  (Read 1779 times)

Offline CJAlbertsonTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
Anyone know about 1/8th scale R/C truck wheels?
« on: December 29, 2014, 07:35:49 PM »
I an considering using wheels and tires from a 1/8th scale R/C off road truck on a robot platform.  They look like they might work but I don't know what amount of weight they are designed for.  What is a reasonable load?   

Yes I can look up the weight of an R/C truck but I'm thinking the wheels might be able to support higher loads.

Here is an example of what I'm talking about
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__20801__1_8_buggy_wheel_tyre_17mm_hex_2pc_.html
Chris A. in So. Cal.

Offline bdeuell

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 15
Re: Anyone know about 1/8th scale R/C truck wheels?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 09:55:41 PM »
I can't say what weight your tires will be able support but my experience has been that most RC vehicle tires are rather flimsy. Typically these tires support all the load with the rubber of the tread, there is no air pressure inside the tires.

I wouldn't count on the tires carrying much more weight than the cars they were designed for, however Nitro or higher end car tires might be designed for a bit more load than your toy store RC car.

I have also seen foam inserts sold to stiffen these tires, im sure you could make your own inserts as well.

Get Your Ad Here