Author Topic: Cirrus servos?  (Read 4184 times)

Offline Fredrik AnderssonTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Cirrus servos?
« on: October 22, 2007, 10:01:28 AM »
Hi,

we are working on a hexapod as a school project. A hexapod means a lot of servos, to be exact we need 18 servos. A lot of servos means a lot of money, and we can't use the most common and cheap servos that gives only 57 oz/in.

I just discovered the Cirrus servos though and they are really cheap, disturbingly cheap compared to other brands. It kind of gives me a feeling that they have really poor quality and easily break or something like that. Is there anybody with any experience about the Cirrus servos?

Found this: http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/440601.asp $8.99 for 102... compare that with Hitech's 75 oz/in servo that cost at least $17.99... something is wrong :/

Current project: Pirrh - Portable Intelligent Round Rolling Hexapod

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
Re: Cirrus servos?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 10:41:35 AM »
I sugest to get this one: http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3743

or for a stronger robot, this one: http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2

These servos are made in china, but verry good quality. They do not compare to the digital servos people use to build bipeds and hexapods. But for replacing a regular servo, they are a viable option.
Check out the uBotino robot controller!

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 11:15:12 AM »
Regular servos are used widely in bipeds and hexapods as well. Lynxmotion sells their robots with regular servos.

Wow, those servos are even cheaper... i'll keep them in mind till i sort this out. :)

I read over at the Lynxmotion forum that Cirrus and TowerPro (these servos you posted are exactly the same as the towerpro ones, just different name) generally perform about half of the ad specification says, possibly even less. Have you used these servos yourself?

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 11:50:32 AM »
Not yet, but I intend to get a bunch to experiment with hexapod or biped robots. I am not concerned with precision since this will be experimentation until I can aford a regular (more expensive) setup. Even if they are not so good for this purpose, I can use them for other robotics needs. Besides, they don't cost a fortune.

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 12:42:43 PM »
Ive searched around a bit about those servos. About the whole Lynxmotion community shouts "Stay away from Tower Pro servos!". Many people have had bad experiences with those servos. For example they received some dead servos, some died after a few minutes, they were all twitchy and stuff like that.

I think there is a reason Hitech servos cost a little more.  ;)

I'll go with the Hitech HS-475HB servos, they meet my needs, are reasonably cheap (17.99 isn't so much actually), and can be trusted (according to what i have heard). Lynxmotion uses them pretty widely.

Offline garriwilson

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 05:08:46 PM »
How about these?

http://www.basicx.com/Products/robotparts/Servo1.htm

I haven't really used them but they look trustable and have 111 oz - in. torque at 6.0v! Only 13 bucks each

Offline Ro-Bot-X

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 02:06:31 AM »
I have worked with GWS servos and I have to say that there is no difference between them and the Futaba servos I also have. But they are a little bigger, so they will not fit the Lynxmotion brackets.

Get Your Ad Here

data_list