Mechanics and Construction > Mechanics and Construction

Super debris collecting robot

<< < (3/3)

oojimaflips:
That robot is fantastic!

We originally decided on tracks because we thought it'd be easier to program since its only on one axle but thinking about it, it shouldn't be too hard to program the wheels either.

Militoy:

--- Quote ---So based on this, a thought . . . perhaps a robot at some safe distance can cannon fire a tethered 'hand' that grabs debris, and then reels it in . . . it keeps your robot safe and makes remote control possible.
--- End quote ---

It seems to me that since the debris itself is "hot",

--- Quote ---The specification does not state this but it states that the hot debris are "very radioactive"
--- End quote ---

That this approach would only minimally protect the robot. The shielding suggested by Admin should certainly be part of the approach (though I'm not sure I would use lead) - but RAD-hard electronic components, sensors and circuits will be a must as well.

--- Quote ---Also, some types of radiation can contaminate objects, so that your robot could actually be radioactive as it returns stuff back to people
--- End quote ---

Actually - many types of radioactive emissions will contaminate certain materials. A few of the products I work on have to be designed to work in "hot" environments (such as open space) - and there are certain materials prohibited in their construction. For instance - silver-plating on wire or terminals will become radioactive very quickly when irradiated. PTFE (Teflon) is even problematic, because although it can take on a static charge over time, its extremely high volume resistivity makes it darn near impossible to discharge - so it affects the capacitive charges on any conductors surrounding it.

Admin:

--- Quote ---this place has a good selection: http://www.junun.org/MarkIII/Store.jsp
--- End quote ---
I dont recommend anyone ordering from Junun. Ive been hearing bad things about them from multiple sources - mostly orders only being half complete or not showing up at all. Worse, they ignore emails and phone calls.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version