Author Topic: MathProblem  (Read 1661 times)

Offline mpuvddTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
MathProblem
« on: February 12, 2009, 08:20:32 PM »
Hello all,
I have a pre-calc. question that I just can't figure out:
Find A, B, C for
their sum is 4
product is -8
and sum of (ab + ac + bc) is 0
Thanks for your help,
mpuvdd
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 08:25:24 PM by mpuvdd »
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking-Einstein

Offline Spoil9

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 1
Re: MathProblem
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 09:41:30 PM »
Are you sure those are the right values?
I took the factors of 8 (-8,-4,-2,-1,1,2,4,8) abd set up every way I could think of to multiply three of them to get -8. I then took those functions and added them to see which one came out to 4 and none of them did.
So I am assuming that the following is true:
1. At least one number has to be negative.
2. At least two numbers have to be fractions.

I know there has to be a simple way to figure this out but I have other homework and two exams to study for before I can start messing with fun math problems.
(and yes, I consider stuff like this fun and challenging - just low on my list of priorities of things to do)
Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil.

Offline mpuvddTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 10:18:06 PM »
Ok Thanks  ;D
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking-Einstein

Offline colorclocks

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 04:13:51 PM »
Take heart.  This is a little messy, but you can do it.  You're not going to get any of the variables alone in an equation right away.  Don't be stopped by that.  It doesn't mean you can't solve the problem.  It just means you have to be content to work with combinations of variables for a while.

You can start a problem like this by finding, say, two expressions for the quantity (B+C), and setting them equal to each other.  You can use this result to find two expressions for, say, the quantity (B*C), and set them equal to each other.  Make sure you're using all three equations, otherwise, you'll end up demonstrating something like A=A -- true, but not useful.

Eventually, you will need the quadratic equation.  Either root will work; there are at least two solutions.  (There should be more; I'm too lazy to work out how many.)

You can get cubic equations in one variable from this problem.  I don't remember how to solve those guys, but I was able to factor the one I got, and just guess an answer to it.

Good luck.  Check your work frequently, so you don't start feeling like you might be just propagating a mistake.  Try to enjoy yourself.  The feeling of power you can get from solving a problem like this can make it worth great effort, even though you might not care at all what the answer is.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 01:42:32 AM »
Find A, B, C for
their sum is 4
product is -8
and sum of (ab + ac + bc) is 0

The first step it to write them all into equations:
A+B+C=4
A*B*C=-8
(AB+AC+BC)=0

The second step is to solve for a single letter, any one will work:
A=4-B-C

Then plug that into another equation, doesn't matter which:
(4-B-C)*B*C=-8

Now solve for just B.

You now have the solution for both A and B, so just plug both of those into the remaining equation for C:
(AB+AC+BC)=0

That should be enough hints without giving away the answer :P