Author Topic: Problem: Headers and Bread Boards  (Read 1608 times)

Offline GosuSheepTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
Problem: Headers and Bread Boards
« on: March 24, 2012, 07:02:36 PM »
I am attempting to use the "AVR STK Serial Port Dongle Programmer". However, this item requires 2 headers right next to each with 10 different pins. On my bread board, 5 columns on every row are all physically wired together, so in any way I put this header on my board, multiple pins will have the same electrical connection.

Has anyone come up with a nifty solution for this problem? Or should I get with a different programmer?

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Problem: Headers and Bread Boards
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 09:05:41 PM »
Hi,

I am attempting to use the "AVR STK Serial Port Dongle Programmer". However, this item requires 2 headers right next to each with 10 different pins. On my bread board, 5 columns on every row are all physically wired together, so in any way I put this header on my board, multiple pins will have the same electrical connection.

Has anyone come up with a nifty solution for this problem? Or should I get with a different programmer?
Either get matrixboard with separate pads or use a sharp hobby knife, a steel ruler and a lot of care (especially not to cut yourself - blood rejects solder ;D)

If you cut two lines say 1/4mm apart and hold the knife slightly away from the other line, so that the two cuts resemble part of a V, you can remove the narrow band in between the lines (carefully, don't ruin the copper you need).
Like so:
¨¨\_/¨¨copper
carrier material
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 11:59:09 PM »
I almost never use breadboards, and this is just one of many reasons . . .

I'm assuming your project will be permanent, so do this:

http://www.societyofrobots.com/step_by_step_robot_step3B.shtml

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 12:39:27 PM »
Well, I would like to continue using a breadboard instead of a prototyping board. And I would also like to not damage this breadboard.

So, I think I'll purchase an Arduino. I've been having trouble connected the dongle to my computer anyway.

Thanks for the replies.

Offline joe61

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 16
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 12:42:55 PM »
Just another possibility. If you cut off one of the connectors attached to the cable, you can just crimp male pins to the exposed wire ends and plug them into the breadboard wherever you want.

Joe

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 11:53:18 PM »
I'd have to buy a crimper for that XD

But ye, I suppose I could solder wires to each of the ends of the header and put those into individual rows in the breadboard. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have already purchased an arduino, so I think I'm going to primarily use that for the time being.