Author Topic: Is programming required?  (Read 2371 times)

Offline CyclonedTopic starter

• Helpful? 1
Is programming required?
« on: December 30, 2009, 10:01:02 AM »
I was thinking about using these receivers/transmitters:
http://robokits.co.in/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=25
http://thinklabs.in/shop/product_info.php?cPath=54&products_id=91

I was wondering whether I would have to program these things to be able to plug in the motors, etc. or can i plug in the motors and battery directly?

Also, how do I connect the motors and battery to the receiver so it becomes remote controlled?

Lastly, what are motor drives, and do they limit the number of motors that can be connected?

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
Re: Is programming required?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 12:02:56 PM »
It looks be be complete BUT since there is not a data sheet on the units I could only guess on how to use them.

Hit the "ask a question" and ask for a data sheet.

Offline rgcustodio

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Use "Search" and ye might find answers!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 04:02:29 PM »
You should be able to plug in motors and a battery directly to the receiver. A data sheet or schematic will always be helpful.
Both sets come with a transmitter and receiver and by the photos I think the transmitter is the one with the push buttons. You control the receiver via the transmitter using the push buttons. IMHO no software programming needed.

A motor driver is required if you are connecting motors to a robot or to I/O pins of an MCU. The MCUs I/O pins can only deliver a mere milliamps while a motor will require maybe several amps. Trying the drive a motor directly though your MCUs I/O pins won't turn the motor or possibly fry your MCU. Input of a motor driver is a signal from the MCU, this input drives internal logic in the motor driver which drives the motor.

Yes they limit the number of motor connected because its what's the circuit was designed for. You will see motor drivers with 2channels or more. These channels are what the motor driver can control separately. Connecting 4 motors to a two channel motor driver is a no-no. You risk overloading the motor driver.

Please do a search of the website there are numerous topics discussing this in the member tutorials.
The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain. - H. W. Longfellow

understanding is the path to enlightenment

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 05:16:52 PM »
Yes, that receiver can take two motors although, I'm not sure about the configuration...
Better get the datasheet for this one.
Howdy

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 01:10:03 AM »
actually i might go for this one:

http://robokits.co.in/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=203

It says all you have to do is connect motor terminals which I don't understand. After that would there be programming required?

Also, let's say I was going to use this motor with the above:
http://robokits.co.in/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=251

How do I connect the motor to the receiver? I don't see any wires...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 01:59:56 AM by Cycloned »

Offline waltr

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 99
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 08:07:14 AM »
Wires need to be soldered to the motors. The wires then connect to the red terminal blocks on the receiver.

• Helpful? 1
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 10:35:45 PM »
soldered?? can i just not find a way to stick it on without using heat?

Offline z.s.tar.gz

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 5
  • Linux Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 09:00:25 AM »
Save yourself the typing. Just call me Zach.

Get Your Ad Here