Author Topic: soldering mistake?  (Read 1338 times)

Offline Melcin PowellTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
soldering mistake?
« on: August 17, 2010, 10:16:50 PM »
What happens if you connect a pin with an empty brass ring? Does it effect it in a negative way? This is off topic but on the $50 robot the 10 pin male headers do i bus the power to all the pins? or just the one further from the dip socket, and if your busing power it doesn't matter what pin your connected too as long as all the pins are connected together right?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 10:31:25 PM by Melcin Powell »

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
Re: soldering mistake?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 05:59:19 AM »
What happens if you connect a pin with an empty brass ring? Does it effect it in a negative way? This is off topic but on the $50 robot the 10 pin male headers do i bus the power to all the pins? or just the one further from the dip socket, and if your busing power it doesn't matter what pin your connected too as long as all the pins are connected together right?

by empty brass ring do you mean one of the holes in the breadboard? if so then no. as long as nothing else is touching that connection then it's fine. as for your other question i'm not sure what you mean probably since i haven't done the $50 robot. if you mean does it matter what you pins you connect to the header in which order then again, no. the only thing about that is that you want it to be somewhat sensible so if you put all the pins in order then you'll have a much easier time later in life when you dig it out of your parts bin and want to use it in your project
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 06:26:15 AM »
To the second question, the four outer rows of pins should be connected in singular rows to form power buses, yes?
Howdy

Offline Melcin PowellTopic starter

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 03:03:51 PM »
This picture is from the website, but i am talking about the pins on the bottom left the left column is connected by solder right but the one on the right isn't? When i attach a wire to a power bus it doesn't matter what pin the wire is closet to right?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 03:05:43 PM by Melcin Powell »

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 04:40:20 PM »
yes, the one on the right is the programmer header, bridging that would be quite bad imo...
Howdy

Offline GearMotion

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 24
  • Two decades+ of Embedded Design
    • CircuitGizmos
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 08:31:44 AM »
This picture is from the website, but i am talking about the pins on the bottom left the left column is connected by solder right but the one on the right isn't? When i attach a wire to a power bus it doesn't matter what pin the wire is closet to right?

This series of blog posts might help. It is an alternate build of the board. This build uses the 6-pin ISP header instead of the 10-pin. It is an alternate set of photos/diagrams that you can study and compare. Perhaps it will help clear things up for you.

http://circuitgizmos.com/wordpress/?p=471

data_list