Author Topic: interface roborealm with processing  (Read 2387 times)

Offline gioscarabTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
interface roborealm with processing
« on: January 07, 2010, 12:53:04 PM »
Hi guys, I am building a robot for university degree. I found on the cloud roborealm that seems very good to detect motion and tracking obstacles.
I have to interface it with processing, but I don't know how to do it. Some skilled friend said to use a socket or emulate a serial port, but I don't know how to do it.

My problem is that I can't send data directly from roborealm to arduino, because the comport is already used by processing. (if there is some obstacles processing generate a quotation (speech)), I don't know how to create a link from roborealm to processing. this is the nut of the problem.

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
Re: interface roborealm with processing
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 04:16:08 PM »
You may look into OpenCV instead. Not only can it do vision processing, the Arduino can talk to it as well.

Offline rgcustodio

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • Use "Search" and ye might find answers!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 05:16:52 PM »
gioscarab
Got free I/O ports?
Why not attach one of the available shields (XBee, USB)?
Attaching one lets Processing use the currently available serial port, while giving Roborealm a port to work with.
The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain. - H. W. Longfellow

understanding is the path to enlightenment

Offline Razor Concepts

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 53
    • RazorConcepts
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 05:23:47 PM »
gioscarab
Got free I/O ports?
Why not attach one of the available shields (XBee, USB)?
Attaching one lets Processing use the currently available serial port, while giving Roborealm a port to work with.

No? Arduino only has one UART port, no matter what the shield is.

Offline gioscarabTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 05:28:57 PM »
I thought about hardware connection, i think is better to use software connection, like server, or something like this...
i try to install opencv library in processing but it don't works, for this reason I choose roborealm....
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 05:30:12 PM by gioscarab »

Offline rgcustodio

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 05:37:20 PM »
No? Arduino only has one UART port, no matter what the shield is.

Yeah my bad.
Just read the specs of the XBee sheild. It still uses the same pins as the UART, sheesh.

With the jumpers in the Xbee position (i.e. on the two pins towards the interior of the board), the DOUT pin of the Xbee module is connected to the RX pin of the microcontroller; and DIN is connected to TX. Note that the RX and TX pins of the microcontroller are still connected to the TX and RX pins (respectively) of the FTDI chip - data sent from the microcontroller will be transmitted to the computer via USB as well as being sent wirelessly by the Xbee module. The microcontroller, however, will only be able to receive data from the Xbee module, not over USB from the computer.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 05:38:58 PM by rgcustodio »
The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain. - H. W. Longfellow

Offline rgcustodio

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 06:01:48 AM »
Update:
Have you looked at funnel?

http://funnel.cc/Main/HomePage

Funnel takes control of the serial port. Programs wanting to use the serial port will have to communicate with funnel via sockets (locally, or via network). It has support for Processing and should use the Firmata protocol.

Have you double checked the SW setup?
Install and use OpenCV1.0. When you click on the download in the OpenCV page it will point you to OpenCV2.0! I think the current OpenCV library for Processing doesn't work well with the new version of OpenCV (aka v2.0).

Remember you need to install "OpenCV release version 1.0" and "OpenCV Processing Library". The sample applications should work now. The links to the downloads are in the OpenCV page and in Sourceforge page of OpenCV. Now the hard part begins, using OpenCV with your code.

If it still doesn't work, make sure the location of "path/to/OpenCV/bin" is in your PATH variable. Add it if it isn't there.

Goodluck.

I thought about hardware connection, i think is better to use software connection, like server, or something like this...
i try to install opencv library in processing but it don't works, for this reason I choose roborealm....

« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 08:16:16 AM by rgcustodio »