Author Topic: The Robot Builder's Shield for Arduino  (Read 3349 times)

Offline Ro-Bot-XTopic starter

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
  • Store: RoBotXDesigns.ca
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
The Robot Builder's Shield for Arduino
« on: September 24, 2010, 07:23:23 PM »
If you want to build robots with Arduino you need to buy 2 shields:
- a motor shield that will also have a prototyping area
- a sensor shield
Of course, you can use the prototyping area on the motor shield to make the connection pins for the sensors.

But what if you're a beginner and want to build a robot and experiment with servos, motors, sensors, buzzer, LEDs, and other goodies? How many shields you need to buy or what is the perfect buy to have it all?

Well, you can get the Robot Builder's Shield and start experimenting!

Features:
  • 6 sensor pins (all analog pins, power from Arduino regulated 5V)
  • 6 servo pins (digital pins 8-13, power from the battery connector)
  • a SN754410 H-bridge to drive 2 DC motors (digital pins 4-7, uses Timer0 for PWM, power from battery connector)
  • serial connector (for attaching a serial LCD or anything else)
  • connector for separate battery for motors and servos
  • space for a mini breadboard for experimenting
  • digital pins 2 and 3 (external interrupts) available for encoders

Here are some pictures:

I can sell only the PCB at the moment for $5 plus shipping. The parts will be available soon, but until then, you can get them from SparkFun:

1x https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=10007 Arduino stackable headers
1x https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=116 pin headers
3x https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8432 screw terminal
1x https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=7938 16 pin socket
1x https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=315 SN754410
1x https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8375 cap 0.1uF
1x https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=7916 mini breadboard

Total is: $14.90 plus shipping. I'll try to at least match that price if not better.

Check out the uBotino robot controller!

Offline madsci1016

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 43
    • Personal Website
Re: The Robot Builder's Shield for Arduino
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 08:03:37 PM »
Wow! very nice. Looks very clean and professional!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 03:31:25 PM »
I also like :)

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 07:47:34 PM »
Thanks guys!

Offline blackbeard

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 08:59:47 PM »
looks good. would you consider making a version with a through hole plated protoboard section? it would be good for more permanent projects
"sure, you can test your combat robot on kittens... But all your going to do is make kitten juice"

First step: Build androids with AI
Next step: Give them vaginas

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 25
    • Ro-Bot-X Designs
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 05:52:52 AM »
Yes, that is the next batch of shields. I will also add capacitors next to the sensor and servo pins and a reset button. However, I need to sell these to make the next order, as I have to allocate fonds to get the parts for the kits. And the new shields will cost a little more.

I am still trying to figure out the power connector problem. Arduino needs 7.2V (some have a LDO regulator and can get by with 6V), so the motors could be powered by the Arduino's battery, but the servos need 6V. Depending on the number of servos used, a separate 6V regulator for the servos may do the trick, but they are usually limited to 1A (that's about 2 micro servos or 1 standard servo). Some diodes in series to drop the voltage down to about 6V from 7.2V might also work, but it's hard to keep things affordable and make everyone happy. There are users that might want to power everything from 9V just because they use Lego motors for instance (these motors take less than an amp). I would really like to keep things simple and use a single battery for everything.

I did an experiment, I installed a step up regulator from SparkFun on a uBotino (to get 5V for the electronics) and powered it from a LiPo and used 2 micro servos (with no electronics inside) for driving. It's slow and noisy, but it works.

Offline chelmi

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 15
    • Current projects
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 10:16:52 AM »
Yes, that is the next batch of shields. I will also add capacitors next to the sensor and servo pins and a reset button. However, I need to sell these to make the next order, as I have to allocate fonds to get the parts for the kits. And the new shields will cost a little more.

I am still trying to figure out the power connector problem. Arduino needs 7.2V (some have a LDO regulator and can get by with 6V), so the motors could be powered by the Arduino's battery, but the servos need 6V. Depending on the number of servos used, a separate 6V regulator for the servos may do the trick, but they are usually limited to 1A (that's about 2 micro servos or 1 standard servo). Some diodes in series to drop the voltage down to about 6V from 7.2V might also work, but it's hard to keep things affordable and make everyone happy. There are users that might want to power everything from 9V just because they use Lego motors for instance (these motors take less than an amp). I would really like to keep things simple and use a single battery for everything.

I did an experiment, I installed a step up regulator from SparkFun on a uBotino (to get 5V for the electronics) and powered it from a LiPo and used 2 micro servos (with no electronics inside) for driving. It's slow and noisy, but it works.

Maybe you could add a low drop out voltage regulator on your board and power the Arduino and the logic from it. And power the servo directly from a 6V battery pack. The power connector of the Arduino would remain unconnected of course.

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 06:09:37 AM »
Hi,

Perhaps make a small SEPIC with outputs of 7.2V and 5V for the Arduino and your board and run it from whatever motor battery is used.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives