Author Topic: Help With First RC Robot Please  (Read 2020 times)

Offline ptbecker2Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
Help With First RC Robot Please
« on: November 15, 2010, 05:10:27 PM »
Hi, I'm very new to robotics. This site and videos on youtube have inspired me to get started. The only problem is, I'm pretty lost. I've done my research and have a pretty good understanding of transmitters, receivers, servos, crystals, etc. But I have a few questions. Like do the transmitter, receiver, and crystals all have to have the same MHz? And is it okay if the three aren't all made by the same company? Please respond ASAP. If you have the time to give me a very specific list of things I need that would be great.
Sincerely,
ptbecker2

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Help With First RC Robot Please
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 07:10:25 AM »
Hi,

I've done my research and have a pretty good understanding of transmitters, receivers, servos, crystals, etc. But I have a few questions. Like do the transmitter, receiver, and crystals all have to have the same MHz?
So much for "pretty good understanding"   ;)
Would you ask if a 4 mm bolt, a 6 mm nut and a 9 mm hole would work together?

And is it okay if the three aren't all made by the same company?
As long as they are compatible, i.e. same frequency, same transmission protocol etc.

Seems like what you want to build is a ROVer (Remote Operated Vehicle), not really a robot, but more like a common R/C car, so you might wanna consider hacking up a cheap R/C car to start with - then you have all the parts needed and can build on that for a while, to get a better understanding of what goes together and how.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

Offline abuse.bot

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 07:56:51 AM »
Most crystals come in pairs - one specifically for the transmitter, and the other specifically for the reciever - you usually can't use them the wrong way around, and they're usually not the same frequency on each one - although they will be given some kind of code (eg: Channel 9) - so you'll need two - One "Channel 9 TX" and antoher "Channel 9 RX".

My guess is that if the stuff you've got needs crystals, it should all probably work together, but I'm also guessing that if your stuff is expecting crystals around the 26/27mhz band, and you put ones from the 40mhz band in it - it probably won't work?

Offline Conscripted

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 10
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 07:42:03 AM »
There is one more thing to consider when selecting RC equipment. What is the application you are building for? Is it a combat robot that is really a remote controlled car with a weapon on it? Different applications will require a different setup. If you are just experimenting or building something to use around the house anything that works will work. If you are building for a competition you should make sure what you get doesn't break the rules.

Conscripted.

Offline ptbecker2Topic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 09:29:55 PM »
Thanks for the help everybody! I'm not trying to make a robot to attack. Just a very simple RC car. I have one more question though, does it need a microcontroller? I'm guessing there's an obvious answer but through my research it seems like all I need it a  transmitter, receiver, battery, and servo. Is that correst?

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 11:20:02 PM »
Hi,

For an R/C car you don't need a µcontroller, but you could use one to add realism - like turns flashers, control head, rear and brake lamps and you could make speed related engine sounds etc. should you be so inclined - might be a good way learning about µcontrollers  :)
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives