Author Topic: Questions about USB  (Read 1344 times)

Offline AnorocTopic starter

• Helpful? 2
    • RabidSample.com
Questions about USB
« on: March 30, 2011, 08:01:56 AM »
I'm currently working on a project that requires the need of two USB ports at the same time. I've found some off the shelf 4 port hubs that are ok; But I'm trying to keep cost down, since I want to produce a bunch of these things. Has anyone created a "2 port hub" before? Is this something that might be easy to produce?

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Questions about USB
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 09:49:48 AM »
I'm currently working on a project that requires the need of two USB ports at the same time. I've found some off the shelf 4 port hubs that are ok; But I'm trying to keep cost down, since I want to produce a bunch of these things. Has anyone created a "2 port hub" before? Is this something that might be easy to produce?
It will cost you way more than getting a cheap 4 port hub from a dime store, but here is one of those you could have found in a couple of minutes - had you cared to Google it.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Helpful? 2
    • RabidSample.com
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 10:05:29 AM »
I actually did google and find that very same link. My strengths are in parts fabrication, (I fail when it comes to any real electronics). Please don't confuse my ignorance with laziness. I was more or less curious if there might have been an alternative to using a 4 port hub. :-\

I'm also working with a small space (physical size of unit is around 3.5" x 3.5"). Most 4 port hubs are larger than that.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:09:06 AM by Anoroc »

Offline klims

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 03:42:11 PM »
What about hacking up something like this?
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/cute-colorful-high-speed-4-port-usb-2-0-hub-48555

Colours are gross but I plan on gutting mine when it finally comes in.

• Helpful? 2
    • RabidSample.com
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 10:39:01 AM »
Oh perfect! Thanks for the linkage. Very inexpensive, and compact. ;D

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 11:10:30 AM »
Yep, they're sure both cheap and small and what's even nicer about it is, that at that price, you wont cry over making it a 2 port hub the hard way *snip snip*  ;D

All of my (4 to 7 ports) hubs (except one very old model) are much less than 3.5" though and laptop hubs in general are not much larger than the connectors and a few mm of casing.
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...

• Helpful? 2
    • RabidSample.com
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 11:17:45 AM »
LOL yeah, at less than 5 bucks, I'm not gonna cry over two missing ports :P I only want 2 available so not to draw too much power off the USB port.

Offline klims

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 03:35:50 PM »
Glad I could help. DealExtreme are awesome for stuff like that. You might need to flick through 30 or 40 pages worth of rubbish before you find what you want, but it's usually there  :)

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 04:12:02 PM »
Glad I could help. DealExtreme are awesome for stuff like that. You might need to flick through 30 or 40 pages worth of rubbish before you find what you want, but it's usually there  :)
Absolutely, but it may take a while to get to you... My GF ordered a lot of stuff late October (2010) and it has been dripping in here and there and the remainder of the order (I think) that she had given up on arrived last week!
Thats a solid 5 months to fill an order.
In all fairness, they usually only take 1 to 2 months, but order soon, or you may be a senior citizen by the time the goodies arrive.
Regards,
Søren

Please remember...

• Helpful? 2
    • RabidSample.com
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 08:35:39 AM »
yeah... that doesn't work for me, at all. I've been searching for a US distributor, but everything here is around 3x the cost...  I read through a tutorial that CLAIMED you could create a USB Y cable (Unsuccessful). The cable "works" but only one USB port at a time. I was quite disappointed.

Back to the drawing board. I can't deal with a supplier that's going to take more than a month to get me parts.

Offline klims

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 2
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 05:29:43 PM »
I ordered mine on the 26/03 and it arrived on the 08/04

It really depends on if they have stock. You can USUALLY see how long things will take based on the status of the product. But just email them and ask.