go_away

Author Topic: Conflicting information re: PS2 Controller on Axon II  (Read 1034 times)

Offline tzankoffTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Conflicting information re: PS2 Controller on Axon II
« on: March 26, 2012, 01:04:10 PM »
Hi all.

I am updating a robot that I have already built to be controlled via a wireless PS2 controller and have run into what appears to me to be some conflicting information.

All I need to know is do I plug in the power to the wireless receiver into the 5V regulated bus (which is what I am reading from various sources...providing I am reading this correctly) or do I plug in the power into the appropriate pins on the Axon II PROG (which is what Project Designer is telling me to do)?

I believe that I have everything else figured out and am just waiting for the controller to arrive so I can wire it up and plug this thing in.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 04:10:35 PM by tzankoff »

Offline Soeren

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 227
  • Mind Reading: 0.0
Re: Conflicting information re: PS2 Controller on Axon II
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 04:44:51 PM »
Hi,

All I need to know is do I plug in the power to the wireless receiver into the 5V regulated bus (which is what I am reading from various sources...providing I am reading this correctly) or do I plug in the power into the appropriate pins on the Axon II PROG (which is what Project Designer is telling me to do)?
All we need to know is, do you want it to be on all the time, or do you want the power for it to be under software control?
Regards,
Søren

A rather fast and fairly heavy robot with quite large wheels needs what? A lot of power?
Please remember...
Engineering is based on numbers - not adjectives

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 11:22:30 AM »
I will use a software bus (which means I will plug into the programmer as per Project Designer). I could use either hardware or software, but won't have to worry because I do not use a programmer and wouldn't want to run into that conflict anyway.

Offline Webbot

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 111
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 03:06:07 PM »
When Project Designer works out which supply pins to use it chooses the ones that are physically closest to the I/O pins you are using. So it has probably selected power pins from the ISP plug for that very reason. You can, of course, choose to use any other similar pins. Alternatively you may be able to tell Project Designer to use other pins for the main I/O that are located further away and it will then choose nearby supplies that may not include the programmer.

Webbot Home: http://webbot.org.uk/
WebbotLib online docs: http://webbot.org.uk/WebbotLibDocs
If your in the neighbourhood: http://www.hovinghamspa.co.uk

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 10:38:55 PM »
I see. I just tried moving the controller I/O pins to another location and sure enough, the closest power supply pins were in the regulated power bus. Didn't know that before. Thanks for the info.

Now on to code.
 ::)

Get Your Ad Here

data_list