Author Topic: THE CMPS03  (Read 2241 times)

Offline benjiTopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
THE CMPS03
« on: January 09, 2008, 01:40:06 PM »
hey folks, anyone have used this compass? i read about it in some website and i think im goin to buy it as its price is acceptable according to its performance
i just wanna know if anyone have used it and what do u thinik of it?
i read also that putting this baby beside motors(magnetic fluxes) would affect the readings it gives
but what if my compass is always moving with these motors? would the difference between angles differ? if only the angle differ its not a problem to me , i just wanna know if the difference between two angles differ, thanks folks for any feedback
good ol' BeNNy

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
Re: THE CMPS03
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
current running through a wire creates a magnetic field.
to get the most accurate readings, halt your motors and any other non essential systems before you take measurements.

also try to locate the compass as far away from motors or power wires as possible.
obviously you need to power the compass it's self but try to isolate it from all other devices.
i've seen people put their compass on top of a mast for this reason. (eg http://www.geology.smu.edu/~dpa-www/robo/jbot/)

but what if my compass is always moving with these motors? would the difference between angles differ? if only the angle differ its not a problem to me , i just wanna know if the difference between two angles differ, thanks folks for any feedback
i don't know for sure. i haven't actually started using my compass in my SLAM calculations.
my hunch would say that the proximity of the motors and wires would weaken the relative effect of the magnetic north pole.
my experience working out magnetic deviation on boats would also suggest this.
like on a boat though you could make a deviation chart. this is a chart of known amounts of error at each heading.

so, i'd be reasonably confident you could work out your heading accurately using a lookup table and making sure you stop your motors before you take your readings.
until you drive near your fridge that is. or any other metal object....

let us know if you decide to go the compass route. i'd be interested to hear how it works out in practice.

dunk.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 04:24:24 PM »
the problem is that i cant all of my motors(its a hexapod)and i have 12 of them,thats too much flux, how far should i get the compass from these motors?
good ol' BeNNy

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 04:28:15 PM »
halt
good ol' BeNNy

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 12:16:06 PM »
The angle your compass is at also affects the reading.

the problem is that i cant all of my motors(its a hexapod)and i have 12 of them,thats too much flux, how far should i get the compass from these motors?
As far as possible. Turn on the motors while looking at the compass readings and see if/how they change.

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 03:45:12 PM »
do u suggest a better compass?
good ol' BeNNy