Author Topic: Offset Sockets?  (Read 2469 times)

Offline krichTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Offset Sockets?
« on: January 14, 2008, 02:13:33 PM »
I've run into some strange (for me) packages in some of the ICs I want to try to use.  The one I'm trying to get my head around is the "offset dip".  The pins are spaced at the typical 0.1" spacing, but on one side the pins are offset by 0.05", making it problematic to put the chip into a socket on a protoboard/breadboard.  A good example of this is the Avago ADNS series of Optical Mouse Sensors or the L298 Dual H-Bridge.  I've searched for a socket for this type of package without any success.  I think I'm using the wrong search terms or something.

As an alternative, I could use some recommendations on alternate parts that use a typical 0.1" spaced DIP/SIP.  An optical mouse sensor probably won't take well to being socketed anyway, with the lens and all now that I think about it.  Any recommendations on a higher current HBridge  (1+Amps)?

Thanks,

Ken.

Offline dunk

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
    • dunk's robot
Re: Offset Sockets?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 03:40:01 PM »
i got round this in the past by carefully bending the pins.
a bit ghetto but worked for me.

dunk.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 09:57:06 PM »
lol dunk. do it the old fashion way...if it doesnt fit bend it until it does ;D anyway good luck with this
Howdy

Offline krichTopic starter

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 12:24:42 AM »
 :D Hehe, I'll go with that, dunk.  Maybe I'll take it a step further and try some creative bending of a pair of sip sockets so the ICs can fit in unmodified.  Bending each sip 0.025" in opposite directions should do the trick.

Ken.

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 12:27:20 AM »
lol everything worked out fine...for now ;D
Howdy

Offline airman00

• Contest Winner
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 21
  • narobo.com
    • Narobo.com - Mechatronics and related
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 06:36:49 AM »
:D Hehe, I'll go with that, dunk.  Maybe I'll take it a step further and try some creative bending of a pair of sip sockets so the ICs can fit in unmodified.  Bending each sip 0.025" in opposite directions should do the trick.

Ken.

What I might do is get a PCB with soldering points for the L298  so it solders on easily and then have points on the PCB for headers to come out to make it like a DIP switch.

Im pretty sure a PCB that is perforated would do the trick ( but the ones that look like this )
Check out the Roboduino, Arduino-compatible board!

Link: http://curiousinventor.com/kits/roboduino

www.Narobo.com

data_list