Author Topic: TI digital temperature sensor need help  (Read 2945 times)

Offline BANETopic starter

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
TI digital temperature sensor need help
« on: August 01, 2008, 05:37:55 PM »
Hello, i just recieved my digital temperature sensor. http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tmp100.html  What i need help on is making this able to communicate with my microcontroller.  Heres is the data sheethttp://www.ti.com/lit/gpn/tmp100  I'm a little confused on what pin needs to go to my controller and what "ALERT" and "ADD0" are for :P.

Any help would be great :)

Bane

Offline krich

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
Re: TI digital temperature sensor need help
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 07:36:42 PM »
I've only glanced at the datasheet, but if its similar to the other I2C temp sensors I've messed with...

ADD1 and ADD0 set the I2C bus address of the device by driving none, one, or both high (or low).  This means that you can have up to 4 of these temp sensors on the same I2C bus.  Tie directly to ground/vcc through a resistor, or use jumper blocks for the ultimate in flexibility.

Not sure what ALERT does.  Perhaps you can set threshold values on the temp sensor and the ALERT pin will go high when the higher threshold is surpassed and low when the lower threshold is surpassed.  This creates a simple thermostat type functionality where you could turn on/off a heater based on this chip.

This is probably all in the datasheet...

Good luck!

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 08:03:24 AM »
Thanks, what resistance should my pull up has the be?  Also, I believe that it needs a 3.3vdc power supply; can i just put a 10k resistor on it?

Heres some pictures of the worlds smallest digital temp sensor and what a made out of it :)

Bane

Offline krich

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 11:09:41 AM »
If the datasheet doesn't specify, then 5-10k ohms should do the trick.  The goal, especially with the pull down resistor is to not have it draining your battery too much since it's connected all the time.  Usually the datasheet specifies a minimum current for driving a pin, so use your Ohms law to figure out the max resistor value you need.

As an aside...

Holy cow!  That's small!  I want one.  :D

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 03:18:30 PM »
I didn't have any idea that it was that small.  And it was a sample. ;D
TMP100NA/250G4

It was a pain in the butt to solder :P

Bane

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 4
  • E=roboticsC^2
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 03:20:24 PM »
I just can't get over how small it is :o

Offline krich

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 03:30:13 PM »
Okay, I would love to see how well it works.  How quickly it settles to ambient temperature, etc.  This is perfect for a "temperature matrix" that I've been pondering recently.  A sort of sheet of temperature sensors to quickly (and cheaply) measure temperature differences in 2D space.  I'm kinda bummed that they only support 4 of these per I2C bus.

Offline izua

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
    • izua electronics
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 09:27:45 PM »
You can always emulate i2c in MCU software and make all pins i2c pins, then each pair may have 4 of those sensors attached :P
Check out my homepage for in depth tutorials on microcontrollers and electronics.

data_list