Author Topic: How can i make my robot go there ??  (Read 2195 times)

Offline jolieTopic starter

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
How can i make my robot go there ??
« on: July 24, 2009, 05:30:26 AM »
Hello Guys ! I hope u can help me with this :)

I'm building a robot , one of its main function is to do the following :

Go to a predefined destinations.I don't want to Use path-follower because it clashes with another main function( avoiding obstacles ) . So i figured , one way to do this , is to get several (Transmitter\Receiver) pairs with different frequency for each pair.I'll place Transmitter1 in destination1 , Tarnsmitter2 in destination2 etc. and place all the receivers in the robot.So when Receiver1 is activated the robot will go toward Transmitter1 (destination1) and so on .

My questions :D :

does it make sense - is it possible ? if no what is the alternative ?

if Yes
which Transmitter/Receiver pair should i use ( long rang , reliable .... etc )? , can i get one with built-in circuit ?
can i get different pairs working together (different frequencies) ?

Thanks a lot in advanced

Offline SmAsH

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 75
  • SoR's Locale Electronics Nut.
Re: How can i make my robot go there ??
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 02:29:57 AM »
well, this is plausible, but it looks hard as to remember where it was... have you thought about adaptive mapping?
check out http://www.societyofrobots.com/programming_wavefront.shtml
and http://www.societyofrobots.com/robot_iRobot_Create_mod.shtml to give you an idea.
Howdy

Offline wil.hamilton

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 6
  • rtfm
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 08:40:20 AM »
There are a couple of ways you could do this, the two I'm thinking of might not be possible due to limitations of your environment.

the first, if you environment is large enough is GPS.  give the bot a gps and set waypoints for it to go to

the second, is you could have IR "towers"  the robot can scan for them and head towards the IR light.  This wouldn't work if you can't mount them high enough, or if the robot cant see over any/all obstacles
use the google.  it's your friend.

Offline Truckstop

• Helpful? 2
  • I Void Warrenty's
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 06:00:24 AM »
Another way, I like the gps idea, will this be indoors or outdoors? and you could use ultrasonic range finders to determine if something is in the way fallowed by a subroutine in your core programming to handle the obstical. which can be as simple as wait 30 and scan for the object again, or more elaborate, the ir tower is a neat idea but i honestly have no experience with ir, sorry
The Mongoose: Natures Assassin
The Hyena: Nature's A$$hole
And.....
The Lemming: Natures Retard

Offline emoseman

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 11:02:55 AM »
If the goal is to find a path to a specific destination then the IR, or GPS options seem interesting.  Another thought is to setup certain objects that it would have to find that are color coded, so it would be an exhaustive physical search to find something that matches a certain color.  And then maybe an extra challenge is to find its way back either remembering where it came from and how it got there, or by simply finding another color coded object.

I came across this page which is where the idea came from:

http://www.societyofrobots.com/sensors_color.shtml

Just throwing ideas out there, I'm a complete newbie.

--
Evan

data_list